Our mission is to provide fire departments in need with safety training and personal life safety systems.
One day every firefighter will have the training and equipment
to safely escape a fire.
The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation believes that firefighters can’t save lives if they can’t save themselves. Too often firefighters become trapped unexpectedly due to collapse, flashover, backdraft or more and need to get out FAST. Sometimes the only way out is a window. Our organization knows this all too well – founded by people directly impacted by the FDNY “Black Sunday” where 3 firefighters lost their lives and 3 suffered life-changing injuries – all because they had no way out but a 5th story window.
That’s why we are committed to providing personal safety systems and training to fire departments in need. We achieve this by awarding grants for personal safety bailout systems for firefighters, and offering seminars taught by world class instructors. We hope there’s a day where every firefighter has a way out. And no family, department or community suffers the devastating impact of another “Black Sunday.”
- Berne Fire District Awarded Grant for Personal Safety Rope Systems - The Berne Fire District Awarded Grant for personal safety rope systems through the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation in partnership with the Leary Firefighters Foundation.
- Thanks from the Oradell Volunteer Fire Department - The Oradell Volunteer Fire Department received a grant through the Leary Firefighters Foundation and the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation.
- 5th Annual Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation Seminar to Be Held - The 5th Annual Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation Seminar supports the Foundation's grant program which provides personal life safety rope systems and training to fire departments in need.
- The DiBernardo Family Donates to the Fire Academy Foundation - On June 6, 2017, Joseph and Barbara DiBernardo presented a $30,000 check to the Fire Academy Foundation in memory of their son, FDNY Lieutenant Joseph “Joey” DiBernardo.
- Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation Participates in the First Annual Denis Leary FDNY Firefighter Challenge - On May 4, 2017, Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation Board members teamed up with celebrities to support the First Annual Denis Leary Firefighter Challenge.