The Joey D Foundation provides fire departments in need with training and personal safety systems.
One day every firefighter will have the training and equipment
to safely escape a fire.
The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation (Joey D Foundation) believes that firefighters can’t save lives if they can’t save themselves. Too often firefighters become trapped unexpectedly due to collapse, flashover, backdraft or more and need to get out FAST. Sometimes the only way out is a window. Our organization knows this all too well – founded by people directly impacted by the FDNY “Black Sunday” where 3 firefighters lost their lives and 3 suffered life-changing injuries – all because they had no way out but a 5th story window.
That’s why we are committed to providing personal safety systems and training to fire departments in need. We achieve this by awarding grants for personal safety bailout systems for firefighters, and offering seminars taught by world class instructors. We hope there’s a day where every firefighter has a way out. And no family, department or community suffers the devastating impact of another “Black Sunday.”
- Registration is Open for the 2020 Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Training Seminar - Join us on November 7 – 8, 2020, for hands-on training and courses taught by fire service leaders in Long Island, New York.
- Third Annual Fire Department Volleyball Tournament - The safety and health of our firefighters and our communities are paramount to the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation. After careful consideration and due to the limitations of social distancing, we have decided to cancel the Third Annual Fire Department Volleyball Tournament.
- Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation and Fire Hooks Unlimited Provide 300 to Local Departments - On Wednesday, April 15, Chief Joe DiBernardo delivered 100 N95 masks to the Miller Place Fire Department and 200 to the Setauket Fire Department.
- The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation is Grateful - Although we are isolated, our thoughts, prayers and gratitude for our many blessings and for those on the front lines of this pandemic will make a difference. Please take a moment to reflect on their service and the sacrifices their families make every day.
- Manchester Fire-Rescue-EMS Recieves Grant from the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation - This grant, in the amount of $12,000, will provide department members with PSS and training they need to escape if there are no other ways out.