The Joey D Foundation provides fire departments in need with training and personal safety systems.
One day every firefighter will have the training and equipment
to safely escape a fire.
The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation (Joey D Foundation) believes that firefighters can’t save lives if they can’t save themselves. Too often firefighters become trapped unexpectedly due to collapse, flashover, backdraft or more and need to get out FAST. Sometimes the only way out is a window. Our organization knows this all too well – founded by people directly impacted by the FDNY “Black Sunday” where 3 firefighters lost their lives and 3 suffered life-changing injuries – all because they had no way out but a 5th story window.
That’s why we are committed to providing personal safety systems and training to fire departments in need. We achieve this by awarding grants for personal safety bailout systems for firefighters, and offering seminars taught by world class instructors. We hope there’s a day where every firefighter has a way out. And no family, department or community suffers the devastating impact of another “Black Sunday.”
- Chinese Auction Benefits the Joey D Foundation - Support the the Middle Island Volunteer Fire Department and the Joey D Foundation at 5:00 pm on Saturday, September 18, 2021 at the MIVFD Chinese Auction. Learn more at: www.middleislandfd.org
- You’ve Watched The Bronx is Burning, Now Hear it From Captain Bob Farrell in The War Years - The newly released book by Captain Bob Farrell (Ladder 31), The War Years, recalls those years at La Casa Grande. Get this new book in paperback or kindle addition through our Amazon Smile program by designating the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation as your charity of choice. Captain Farrell is kindly donating the proceeds from the sale of his book to the FDNY Honor Legion and the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation. Bob has been an ally of the Foundation since its inception and we are grateful for his generosity and friendship!
- Order Into the Smoke with New York’s Bravest and Support the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation - Into the Smoke is a work of photojournalism and traces Tom Barry’s career as a firefighter—spanning parts of four decades in FDNY—along with the forty-year effort of noted freelance photographer Michael Dick.
- Jeffery “Moose” Cool, Jr. Takes the Goggins Challenge, Raising Nearly $18,000 for the Joey D Foundation - Earlier this year, retired Navy SEAL and endurance athlete David Goggins, put out his 4x4x48 challenge which includes running 4 miles, every 4 hours, for 48 hours. When Jeffery Cool, a first responder in paramedic school, saw the call-to-action he knew that he “was hooked.” Not only did he accept this test of endurance, but he vowed to support the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation (Joey D Foundation), a charity that is close to his heart.
- Pass It On 3: Chief Goldfeder and Friends - In celebration of World Book Day, join Chief Billy Goldfeder and guest authors for a lively discussion about the third volume of Chief Goldfeder's highly successful "Pass It On" book series. Guest authors will include: Paul Combs, Chieff Joe DiBernardo, Sara Jahnke, and Frank Leeb.