The Joey D Foundation provides fire departments in need with training and personal safety systems.
One day every firefighter will have the training and equipment
to safely escape a fire.
The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation (Joey D Foundation) believes that firefighters can’t save lives if they can’t save themselves. Too often firefighters become trapped unexpectedly due to collapse, flashover, backdraft or more and need to get out FAST. Sometimes the only way out is a window. Our organization knows this all too well – founded by people directly impacted by the FDNY “Black Sunday” where 3 firefighters lost their lives and 3 suffered life-changing injuries – all because they had no way out but a 5th story window.
That’s why we are committed to providing personal safety systems and training to fire departments in need. We achieve this by awarding grants for personal safety bailout systems for firefighters, and offering seminars taught by world class instructors. We hope there’s a day where every firefighter has a way out. And no family, department or community suffers the devastating impact of another “Black Sunday.”
- Nine Fire Departments Receive 2019 Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation Grant - The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation is proud to announce that nine fire departments across the U.S. have been awarded over $97,000. Through 2019 Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation grant program, these departments will benefit from 224 new Personal Safety Systems (PSS) and related training to keep them safe.
- Celebrate #HeroesChanceDay on #GivingTuesday - On Tuesday, December 3, 2019, #HeroesChanceDay, you can celebrate a fallen FDNY firefighter and give a lifeline and training to a firefighter in need.
- The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation Earns a 2019 Bronze Seal of Transparency - By updating our Guidestar profile, earning a Bronze Seal of Transparency, our community as well as 10+ million GuideStar users can learn about our mission and programs.
- Remembering the Class of 1995 - On October 15, 1995 the class of 1995 raised their hands and took an oath to protect the lives and property of the citizens of the City of New York.
- And the 2019 Joey D Seminar Humidor Goes to… - This one-of-a-kind 2019 Joey D Seminar humidor made especially for the Foundation, was hand crafted by Chief Mike Nugent at Black Pearl Woodworks.