The Joey D Foundation provides fire departments in need with training and personal safety systems.
One day every firefighter will have the training and equipment
to safely escape a fire.
The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation (Joey D Foundation) believes that firefighters can’t save lives if they can’t save themselves. Too often firefighters become trapped unexpectedly due to collapse, flashover, backdraft or more and need to get out FAST. Sometimes the only way out is a window. Our organization knows this all too well – founded by people directly impacted by the FDNY “Black Sunday” where 3 firefighters lost their lives and 3 suffered life-changing injuries – all because they had no way out but a 5th story window.
That’s why we are committed to providing personal safety systems and training to fire departments in need. We achieve this by awarding grants for personal safety bailout systems for firefighters, and offering seminars taught by world class instructors. We hope there’s a day where every firefighter has a way out. And no family, department or community suffers the devastating impact of another “Black Sunday.”
- The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation Announces First Round of 2020 Grants - Now in it its seventh year, the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation grant program has awarded over $547,000 to departments in need. Established in Joey’s memory in 2013, the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation holds training events that promote firefighter to raise funds to support its grant program. It also relies on the generous support of our sponsors and partners to help train and equip firefighters.
- Laughter Saves Lives National Fundraiser Event in Conjunction with Helping Thru Humor - You can support the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation and have a good laugh by joining us for this virtual comedy fundraiser. Who couldn't use a laugh right now?
- Chief Joe DiBernardo: An Announcement Regarding the 2020 Seminar - Over the last several months, the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation has been closely monitoring the Covid-19 pandemic. The health and well-being of our students, world-class instructors, and volunteers are paramount to us.
- Don’t Call Me Hero: FDNY Firefighter Jeff Cool Interview - This very special edition of Birds Eye View Project's #FirefighterFridayfeatured veteran and Firefighter Jeff Cool, who served 14 Years with FDNY Rescue 3.
- Wings Contest Helps Firefighters - Centereach Fire Department members Matt Gehm and Ed Davidson ate their way to a victory and received a check for $1,000. The check was presented to the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation on September 21, 2020.