The Joey D Foundation provides fire departments in need with training and personal safety systems.
One day every firefighter will have the training and equipment
to safely escape a fire.
The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation (Joey D Foundation) believes that firefighters can’t save lives if they can’t save themselves. Too often firefighters become trapped unexpectedly due to collapse, flashover, backdraft or more and need to get out FAST. Sometimes the only way out is a window. Our organization knows this all too well – founded by people directly impacted by the FDNY “Black Sunday” where 3 firefighters lost their lives and 3 suffered life-changing injuries – all because they had no way out but a 5th story window.
That’s why we are committed to providing personal safety systems and training to fire departments in need. We achieve this by awarding grants for personal safety bailout systems for firefighters, and offering seminars taught by world class instructors. We hope there’s a day where every firefighter has a way out. And no family, department or community suffers the devastating impact of another “Black Sunday.”
- Local Departments Compete at the Inaugural Volley Ball Tournament - The Inaugural Volley Ball Tournament benefiting the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation was great success raising nearly $4,000 for the Foundation.
- Bob Farrell Champions Firefighter Safety With Donation - His generous donation of $20,000 to the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation will help us keep firefighters safe.
- Win the 2018 Joey D Seminar Humidor - This one-of-a-kind 2018 Joey D Seminar humidor made especially for the Foundation, was hand crafted by Chief Mike Nugent at Black Pearl Woodworks.
- Members of the Bellerose Fire Department Receive Their Bailout Kits - The Bellerose Fire Department, which is located in western Nassau County, has received a grant totaling almost $4,000. This grant provided personal life safety rope systems for six firefighters.
- Campville Fire Department Outfits Its Firefighters With Bail Out Systems - "The Campville Fire Department and Town of Owego Fire District are very grateful to your organization for helping us get a bailout system for each of our new MSA G1 air packs. I hope that we never have to use them, but the confidence we have in knowing that self rescue is possible in the case of an emergency is empowering."