Grants for Fire Departments
The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation provides grants to fire departments in need of personal safety rope systems. If your department is in the U.S. or Canada and does not have means to this important safety equipment, please download and submit the 2020 grant application starting on January 1, 2020.
Grant Application Requirements
- Submit a brief essay describing your need for personal safety rope systems (PSS). This should include why your department needs financial support to complete this purchase, number of alarms answered annually, average number of personnel responding on apparatus, and total number of members in your department. Your narrative should include a description of your response area and demographic information including, but not limited to, median income, median home value, and poverty rate for your response area.
- Please explain how will your department maintain proficiency in the use of your PSS.
- Please provide the number of systems being supported by grant funding and an estimate from a vendor for equipment and training. The Foundation does not support a particular system and encourages you to seek competitive bids. The award check will be made out to the vendor and not the department. Note: Large grant requests exceeding $12,000, if approved, will be awarded at approximately $12,000 per year, and departments will be required to re-apply each year.
- Please explain what type of fundraising you have done/will do in 2020 and what funds your expect to raise.
Required Support Documentation
The below information must be submitted with your grant request:
- Please provide a copy of two most recent years detailed budget. If your department is part of a municipality, please forward a copy of the fire department portion of the budget.
- Include a copy of two most recent years detailed balance sheets and actuals (Actuals reflect how much revenue an account has actually generated or how much money an account has paid out in expenditures at a given point in time during a fiscal year).
- Please provide a signed copy of your most recent Form 990, if applicable. (If you are a career department, please state N/A in your application.)
- Include a copy of your organization’s “Exempt From Income Tax” as filed with the IRS if applicable. (If you are a career department, please state N/A in your application.)
- Please provide a all pages of the most recent tax exempt filing as applicable in the grantee’s State. (If you are a career department, please state N/A in your application.)
- For the current year-to-date, please provide a listing of cash on hand, Bonds, CDs, bank accounts, investments and all monetary assets.
- Provide a listing of any federal, state, or private grants that you have received or will receive this year.
- Please include the Hold Harmless Agreement signed by Grantee.
- Include a signed notarized statement acknowledging the items are truthful by the representative of the Grantee.
Since 2013, the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation has awarded nearly $472,000 to departments to equip and train their members with personal life safety ropes.
In 2014, the Foundation proudly established a grant partnership with The Leary Firefighters Foundation to provide this life-saving equipment and training to firefighters in New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts area.
Previous applicants who were not awarded a grant are invited to resubmit a new application. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Grant Applications will be accepted between January 1 – September 1, 2020.
Grantee(s) will be notified after the 2020 Seminar.
Please mail hard copy of application AND E-mail a .pdf copy to firstname.lastname@example.org to complete your application.
The following departments have received financial assistance to purchase this life-saving safety equipment and related training.