The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation works to fulfill our mission of keeping firefighters safe by providing the equipment and training they need to survive. Although our 2020 fundraising efforts have been affected by this global pandemic, we will soon begin to review applications for our 2020 grant program. While our funds are limited because of this global crisis, we are still committed to helping provide life-saving equipment to fire departments in need. You can help too, by making a donation to the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation
. Every donation, large or small, helps us care for those who protect us.
Grants for Fire Departments
The Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation provides grants to fire departments in need of personal safety rope systems. If your department is in the U.S. or Canada and does not have means to this important safety equipment, please download and submit the 2020 grant application starting on January 1, 2021.
Grant Application Requirements
- Please fill out the department information and Grant Indemnification and Hold Harmless Agreement.
- Submit a brief essay describing your need for personal safety rope systems (PSS). This should include why your department needs financial support to complete this purchase, number of alarms answered annually, average number of personnel responding on apparatus, and total number of members in your department. Please explain, how will your Department maintain proficiency in the use of your PSS.
Required Support Documentation
The below information must be submitted with your grant request:
- Provide a copy of where you obtained your demographic information documentation for your response area, including the date of the information.
- Please include an estimate from a vendor for equipment and training (the Foundation does not support a particular system and encourages you to seek competitive bids). The award check will be made out to the vendor and not the department. Note: Grants will not exceed $12,000 per year. Grant requests exceeding $12,000, if approved, will be awarded at approximately $12,000 per year, and departments will be required to reapply each year.
- Please explain what type of fundraising you have done/will do in the current year and what funds you have raised and what funds you expect to raise.
- Please provide a copy of two most recent years detailed budget.
- Include a copy of two most recent years detailed balance sheets and actuals (Actuals reflect how much revenue an account has actually generated or how much money an account has paid out in expenditures at a given point in time during a fiscal year).
- Please provide a signed copy of your 2020 or most recent Form 990, if applicable. (If you are a municipal department, please state N/A) 501(c)3 need to file with the IRS.
- A copy of your organization’s “Exempt Form Income Tax” as filed with the IRS if applicable. (If you are a municipal department, please state N/A).
- For the current year to date, please provide a listing of cash on hand, bonds, CDs, bank accounts, investments, and all monetary assets. If this is listed in your budget, please state so.
- Volunteer and/or combination departments, please provide a copy of your minutes from your two most recent meetings including the Financial/Treasurer’s report.
- Provide a listing of any federal, state, or private grants that you have received or will receive or have applied for this year with grant amount.
- Include a signed notarized statement acknowledging all the items and attachments are truthful by the representative of the Grantee.
Since 2013, the Lt. Joseph P. DiBernardo Memorial Foundation has awarded over $610,000 to departments to equip and train their members with personal life safety ropes.
In 2014, the Foundation proudly established a grant partnership with The Leary Firefighters Foundation to provide this life-saving equipment and training to firefighters in New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts area.
Previous applicants who were not awarded a grant are invited to resubmit a new application. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Grant Applications will be accepted between January 1 – June 30, 2021.
Grantee(s) will be notified after the 2021 Seminar.
Richland Township Volunteer Fire Department
Johnstown, Pennsylvania Date Awarded: 2020
Westfall Township Fire Department
Matamoras, Pennsylvania Date Awarded: 2020
Town of Dover Fire Department
Dover, New Jersey Date Awarded: 2020
Central Stickney Fire Protection District
Chicago, Illinois Date Awarded: 2020
Sabattus Fire Department
Sabattus, Maine Date Awarded: 2020
Borough of Prospect Park Fire Department
Prospect Park, New Jersey Date Awarded: 2020
Mansfield Fire Department
Mansfield, Ohio Date Awarded: 2020
East 52 Celina Volunteer Fire Department
Celina, Tennessee Date Awarded: 2020
Shady Valley Volunteer Fire Department
Shady Valley, Tennessee Date Awarded: 2020
South Hutchinson Fire Department
South Hutchinson, Kansas Date Awarded: 2020
Village of Spring Valley Volunteer Fire Department
Spring Valley, New York Date Awarded: 2020
Port Jervis Fire Department
Port Jervis, New York Date Awarded: 2019 & 2020
Manchester, Connecticut Date Awarded: 2019 & 2020
City of Erie Fire Department
Erie, Pennsylvania Date Awarded: 2019 & 2020
Ventnor City Fire Department
Ventnor City, New Jersey Date Awarded: 2019 & 2020
Wales Fire Department
Wales, Massachusetts Date Awarded: 2019
Leominster Fire Department
Leominster, Massachusetts Date Awarded: 2018 & 2019
Norwich Fire Department
Norwich, Connecticut Date Awarded: 2019
Pleasantdale Fire Department
Troy, New York Date Awarded: 2019
Eynon/Sturges Volunteer Hose Company #3
Eynon, Pennsylvania Date Awarded: 2019
Jackson County Fire District #5
Phoenix, Oregon Date Awarded: 2018
Wildwood Fire Department
Wildwood, New Jersey Date Awarded: 2018
New London Fire Department
New London, Connecticut Date Awarded: 2018
Riverside Fire Department
Riverside, Missouri Date Awarded: 2018
Otter Creek Fire Department
Terre Haute, Indiana Date Awarded: 2018
Morgantown Fire Department
Morgantown, West Virginia Date Awarded: 2018
Kansas City Community College
Kansas City, Kansas Date Awarded: 2018
Bucyrus Fire Department
Bucyrus, Ohio Date Awarded: 2018
City of Barling Fire Department
Barling, Arkansas Date Awarded: 2018
Citizens Volunteer Fire Company
Arnold, Pennsylvania Date Awarded: 2018
Pleasantville Fire Department
Pleasantville, New Jersey Date Awarded: 2017
Castle Valley Fire District
Moab, Utah Date Awarded: 2017
Campville Fire Department
Endicott, New York Date Awarded: 2017
Lynnfield Fire Department
Lynnfield, Massachusetts Date Awarded: 2017
Moosup Valley Fire Department
Foster, Rhode Island Date Awarded: 2017
Bellerose Fire Department
Bellerose Village, New York Date Awarded: 2017
Lawrence Cedarhurst Fire Department
Lawrence, New York Date Awarded: 2017
Pittsburg Texas Fire Rescue
Pittsburg, Texas Date Awarded: 2017
Wright City Fire Protection District
Wright City , Missouri Date Awarded: 2017
Scalp Level Paint Borough Volunteer Fire Department
Windber, Pennsylvania Date Awarded: 2017
Berne Fire District
Berne, New York Date Awarded: 2016
Oradell Fire Department
Oradell, New Jersey Date Awarded: 2016
Palmyra Township Fire Department
Diamond, Ohio Date Awarded: November 5, 2016
Livermore Fire and Rescue Department
Livermore, Maine Date Awarded: November 5, 2016
Northeast Fire and Rescue Company
Summerdale, Pennsylvania Date Awarded: November 5, 2016
Pennsburg Fire Department
Pennsburg, Pennsylvania Date Awarded: November 5, 2016
King William Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad
Aylett, Virginia Date Awarded: August 12 ,2015
Allendale Fire Department
Allendale, New Jersey Date Awarded: July 13, 2015
Burdett Fire Department
Burdett, New York Date Awarded: May 8, 2015
Montour Falls Fire Department
Montour Falls, New York Date Awarded: October 23, 2014
Mount Hope Fire Department
Otisville, New York Date Awarded: 2014 & 2015